“Tubular Tuesday” was a great day. I did my morning announcements followed by intern tasks, preparations, and placement work for next year. Then I administered tests to five students who were absent last week. Afterwards, my math discovery students came along, and we worked with geometric tiles and shapes again. Then I administered one last test for the day. Following my math group were my divorce lunch groups, and the rest of my afternoon was spent doing guidance work. Mrs. Theroux and I did guidance sessions with three pairs of two and one group of four. I continued to learn how to help guide students and give good advice. When helping someone, I had to use good judgment concerning what might be an exaggeration, or a lie, and what is real. Also, this afternoon gave me the chance to work on maintaining a role model position when handling students’ problems. The issues may sound silly, but I learned how to conceal my laughter and smiles. Other problems are heart breaking, and I learned not to cry along with the student. It is very important for a teacher and guidance counselor to always be strong, show only compassion, and expressions of help. No other emotions can be allowed because the children need a trusting adult for them in the community. If I were to snicker at a child’s problem, or cry with a child because I felt his or her pain, he or she may feel uncomfortable coming to me again in the future with problems, because I am supposed to be strong and supportive.
No comments:
Post a Comment