Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Eighth Day

Today was like every other routine day at school.  This is not to say that it was boring; in fact, I learned and talked about some significant issues. However, as part of my position, I must keep everything confidential, so I am unable to share these stories with anyone.  A big part of my day is learning about students’ specific issues and life’s problems in general. Then I learn how Mrs. Theroux solves these problems and guides students in difficult situations.  Most of the discussion takes place when I am preparing tasks for next week or doing intern work.  When I write that I did a quick photocopy here and there and did other intern tasks, I neglect to mention all the inside horror stories and solutions with which Mrs. Theroux has had to deal.  I enjoy every day to its fullest, and take out exponential amounts of lessons, morals, and appreciation for people like Mrs. Theroux.  Some people have come up to me and commented on my blog being so long.  If only they knew how much more I could write and how much I am dying to teach and share about my experiences.   There is so much more that each day brings me than I can share in a short blog or even express within a day.  The outcome of my senior project will be so much more than a pass or fail grade.  I will leave Proctor Academy this spring with first- hand experience in a classroom.  I will have learned how to help students, whether it is about something simple at school, or some heart-crushing problem outside of school.  I used to wonder why so many students used to act up in class.  The reasons behind this behavior are monumental, and now I can begin to look deeper into a child’s heart and see a kid for who he is, despite his behavior in school.

            Today was “Whispering Wednesday.”  The day began with morning announcements, followed directly by the second session of the national testing.  I administered this second part with the same student I worked with yesterday.  He is a brilliant child.  I was in awe as I watched him answer question after question correctly. He only needed my assistance to keep him focused, but when he buckled down, his intelligence shined way past the fourth grade level.  Just by watching him and guiding him every now and then through a section of a test, I really felt like I got to know him.  He is a good boy, with an academic talent and readiness to shine.  After the test finished for the day, I went with Mrs. Theroux to teach another section of fourth grade, the same lesson as before, with the cat perspective exercise.  This class went well and the students behaved appropriately.  Following class were my five lunch groups.  As usual, we played games, talked, and ate.  After a little clean-up and tidy-up of the guidance room, Mrs. Theroux and I did placement preparations, and I did some normal intern tasks.  The day was over and I left feeling good about my work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment